A complex development task, limited resources, and deadline pressure. These are the conditions under which Phonak began development on its new product generation based on dynamic FM technology. EVOCEAN supported the project team from the beginning. PDF-File
Using Model Driven Development with Rational Rhapsody® from IBM allowed them to bring the inspiro transmitter device based on completely new technology to a state of market readiness in just 12 months. EVOCEAN supported the project team from the beginning, from the evaluation of the development environment through design of the software architecture to system integration.
Phonak Communications AG is a leading manufacturer worldwide of highly miniaturized wireless communication systems. At the end of 2006, the company started development of the inspiro, a new transmitting device for instruction in classrooms with hearingimpaired students. inspiro is based on the revolutionary "Dynamic FM" platform, which has increased language comprehension in situations with excessive noise to a level previously considered impossible. inspiro combines a graphical interface with digital audio signal processing and a number of wireless links. The correspondingly complex, completely new software had to be developed within a very short time and using existing internal resources.
A comprehensive analysis of the initial situation showed that the only way to reach the desired goals was by using completely new development tools and target hardware:
- UML with Rational Rhapsody® from IBM
- Target platform with ARM9, USB, 3 proprietary wireless links,digital audio signal processing
- RTOS Sciopta, GUI with Peg++, C++.
The critical element for the success of the project was applying Model Driven Development (MDD) using Rhapsody®:
- Incremental iterative process
- Graphical display of the new application (UML) in reusable models
- Code generating from models to target platform
- Fast prototyping for early validation of target hardware
- Complete integration of development tools
- Parallel development at multiple locations.
The role of EVOCEAN
EVOCEAN is a "Advanced Business Partner" of IBM in Switzerland. As the official Rational Rhapsody® competence center, we have not only access to all tools, but also to the internal
know-how and knowledge pool of the Rhapsody® developers. Our team of consultants has broad technical knowledge and many years of experience in the area of Model Driven Development.
We offered Phonak support in the following areas of concern:
- Consulting to select a development environment
- Coaching for introducing MDD (UML) and using Rhapsody®
- Onsite support as Lead Software Architect and in developing various key components
- Support in project management
- Responsibility for integrating all components into the application
- On-the-job training for Rhapsody® and MDD method
- Know-how transfer and exchange of experience.
Added value for the customer
Model Driven Development and Rational Rhapsody® allowed us to keep a handle on the considerable complexity of the project and lower the error rate significantly: We met the ambitious goals related to
functionality and quality.
- Launch on schedule with existing internal resources
- High market acceptance of the new product
- No major product improvements required after the market launch
- Kick-start for employees in Model Driven Development (method and software competence)
- Solid software architecture for subsequent development
- Well established development environment for follow-up projects
- Universally comprehensible models and current documentation; very easy to train new employees.